On Page SEO for Shopify Collections ?
On-Page SEO for Shopify Collections: Optimizing Your Collection Pages
The “Page Title” in the website SEO section holds significant importance for collection pages, as they often generate a substantial amount of bottom-of-the-funnel traffic. To optimize the title tag:
- Ensure you have enough collections, ideally one for each type of your product, and sometimes additional ones to capture specific variations (e.g., “18k gold necklaces” and “gold necklaces”).
- Keep the title tag under 60 characters. If it’s shorter, consider adding a feature or benefit of your store or secondary keywords.
- Incorporate keyword modifiers to reflect user intent and secondary keywords. Include words like “buy,” “online,” “shop,” “UK,” or other location-specific terms.
For example, if you’re selling 18k gold necklaces, a well-optimized title tag could be: “Buy 18k Gold Necklaces Online UK | Your Store Name.” This title includes the main keyword, indicates clear intent, and caters to various search queries.
The meta description is primarily about optimizing click-through rates and convincing potential visitors to choose your website over competitors. To create an effective meta description:
- Highlight the unique selling points of your product range and why purchasing from your store is superior to competitors.
- Mention advantages such as a wide product selection, competitive prices, fast delivery, great returns policy, buy now-pay later options, and other benefits.
- Include your main keyword, as it will appear in bold in search results, making your listing stand out.
For instance, for an 18k gold necklaces collection, your meta description could be: “Shop our range of 18k gold necklaces in over 50 designs and styles. Customize with your text and enjoy next-day delivery. Buy now, pay later.”
URL / Handle:
Keep the URL or handle straightforward for collection pages by including the main keyword. Avoid overly long or keyword-stuffed handles. For example, if you’re targeting “18k gold necklaces,” the handle should be something like “18k-gold-necklaces,” ensuring it includes the keyword but remains concise and relevant.
The H1, which serves as the collection’s title, should simply include the main keyword. Avoid adding keyword modifiers or secondary keywords; just name the collection appropriately. For instance, if your collection is about 18k gold necklaces, the H1 should be “18k Gold Necklaces.”
Crafting a concise, user-friendly collection description at the top of the page is essential. Optionally, you can include a “Read More” link for longer content, especially on mobile devices, to enhance user experience. Use the description to provide an overview of the collection’s key features and benefits.
To add additional content, consider these approaches:
- Additional Product Details: Modify the product grid to display more information about each product. This customization depends on your product type and may require developer assistance.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section: Implement an FAQ toggle below the product grid to address potential customer questions and add informative content without overwhelming the page. Splitting the description is necessary for this, and it’s advisable to involve a developer.
Incorporate 2-4 internal links within the description to connect to other relevant pages on your website. These links can point to subcategories or related products. Internal linking helps search engines understand the structure and relationships between pages on your site.
By optimizing these On-Page SEO elements for your Shopify collection pages, you can enhance their visibility in search results and provide a better user experience for your visitors.